A Brief History of Museum London

The institution known today as Museum London has gone through changes in name and location since its beginnings in the
Elsie Perrin Williams Memorial Building in 1940.

1940
London Public Library
Elsie Perrin Williams Memorial Art Gallery and Museum (Elsie Perrin Williams Memorial Building)
Funds from a bequest by Elsie Perrin Williams (1878-1934) are used to build the Elsie Perrin Williams Memorial Library and Art Museum (the old Central Library at 305 Queen’s Avenue).

1980
London Regional Art Gallery
London’s art gallery shifts from its original location at the Elsie Perrin Williams Memorial Building to a new location at the Forks of the Thames River (421 Ridout Street North), and becomes known as the London Regional Art Gallery (LRAG).

1989
London Regional Art and Historical Museums
The London Public Library’s museum division and the London Regional Art Gallery combine, forming the London Regional Art and Historical Museums (LRAHM).

2001
Museum London
The London Regional Art and Historical Museums (LRAHM) changes its name to Museum London.

 

Sources:

London Public Library. “London Public Library History.”
http://www.londonpubliclibrary.ca/research/local-history/london-public-library-history.

Museum London. “Our History.” http://museumlondon.ca/about/our-history.

Museum London. “FAQ.” http://museumlondon.ca/about/faq.